Customers and friends of Gourmet Street Food, the speciality food van regularly based in Perceval Square, Stornoway, are being asked to support a petition to Comhairle nan Eilean Siar against a proposal which would see them excluded from the Council-owned land.
The plan comes in a proposed Council policy document covering all Council-owned land in Stornoway Town Centre, which establishes the exact location and and costs of pitches in Perceval Square, and in Point Street and also covers the use of South Beach Car Park by funfairs.

The introduction to the policy lays down the basic guidance for the use of Perceval Square, and the other streets and intends to "address areas of concern that have been highlighted following recent years experience."
There will no longer be stalls allowed at all in Cromwell Street, Francis Street, or Point Street, the document states, apart from the part of Point Street adjacent to the side of the Town Hall.
The policy states that "the provision of space in Stornoway Town Centre for let is to promote and showcase Hebridean culture and produce. "  In addition, it states that: "Vehicles, including trailers, will be excluded from these areas other than for initial set-up and dismantling."
It is believed that Gourmet Street Food is seen as failing to meet both these criteria and certainly it is the only "stall" regularly based on the square that uses a wheeled vehicle rather than a market-style stall.
In a Facebook post, Gourmet Street Food says: "We are really upset about this as they only gave us permission in the beginning because 'we were offering something unique and different'.
"All we ever wanted to do was to bring something new to Stornoway - we are currently 2nd on Tripadvisor for restaurants in Stornoway (we must be doing something right) and we see you all as friends."
So they have devised a paper petition for customers to show support for Gourmet Street Food to remain in the square and are in the process of setting up an online petition, too. "We will have one permanently with us, but also will distribute some around town. If you see one, please sign," they say.
People are also asked to contact their councillor or the Council directly.