Depute General Manager
Organisation: Tursachan Trading
- Based at Calanais Visitor Centre (CVC), Isle of Lewis, HS2 9DY
- 6 month contract
- 37.5 hours per week
- Salary up to £30k, plus pension
The post holder will be responsible for supporting the General Manager in overseeing all aspects involved in the running of the Centre. This will include operational management of the catering, retail, and front of house operations, and associated supporting functions / activities.
How To Apply
- Applications to be received no later than 30 March 2023.
Core Competencies & Behaviours
- To work collaboratively with the manager to provide a seamless supervision of staff and operations
- To be consistent in setting an excellent personal and professional example to all staff, motivating and developing team members to contribute towards the overall success of Calanais Visitor Centre.
- To demonstrate a proactive approach to continuous professional development, identifying own performance and development needs; actively soliciting feedback on performance and establishing effective training and development plans.
- To maximise staff members’ potential through a positive commitment to training, development and succession planning at all levels
- To be approachable and actively to seek to develop collaborative and cooperative working relationships with others.
Operational & Financial Leadership
- To supervise operations at the Calanais Visitor Centre, ensuring that the centre delivers an outstanding customer experience and meets its agreed financial and other targets.
- To maintain financial record-keeping in the absence of the manager
- To lead regular meetings with staff in which progress against operational and financial objectives is reported, any corrective/ alternative action agreed, and any other business developments are communicated.
Customer Engagement & Experience
- When on duty to oversee high standards of safety for our customers and our staff, including the setting and enforcing of appropriate hygiene standards.
- When on duty to achieve and maintain consistently high ratings on Tripadvisor and other review platforms.
- To assist the manager identify areas in which we can continually improve our customer experience and implement feasible actions / plans for achieving this.
- When on duty support and lead all staff working at the Centre, ensuring that all staff are enabled and guided to provide their best work in the interests of the Centre and customers.
Risk Management and Estate Management
- When on duty responsible for ensuring the operation of appropriate systems and plans in respect of HR, IT, Health and Safety, Business Continuity, Food Hygiene, Estates Management and Environmental Management in line with legislative requirements.
- To support the manager to ensure that the associated policies, procedures and practices are regularly monitored, audited and updated, and findings and actions are recorded.
- When on duty to be the responsible person in the event of emergencies.
Essential Qualifications; Skills; Experience
- Experience in undertaking a similar senior level role within the hospitality / retail sector.
- Vocational Qualification or training in related discipline (or significant relevant experience)
- Knowledge of relevant aspects of Health and Safety and HR legislation / practice.
- Knowledge of Food Hygiene requirements.
- High level of literacy and numeracy.
- Experience in stock ordering, control and audit.
- Demonstrable people management skills, knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrable customer service skills, knowledge and awareness.
Desirable Qualifications; Skills; Experience
- Hospitality / Business Management Qualification (HND level or above) or equivalent.
- Food Hygiene Certificate.
- Fire Safety Training / Qualification.
- Knowledge of / prior experience in facilities management (SME)
- Experience in third sector / charitable sector.
- Prior experience in supplier management and negotiation.
- Awareness of key legislative developments applicable to sector.
- Ability to speak Gaelic, and sensitivity towards the culture of the Outer Hebrides