Contact us on 01851 705743 or
email info@welovestornoway.com

      Uist and Benbecula News

Comann Eachdraidh Eirisgeidh is launching guided Fr Allan MacDonald Walk Trails on Thursdays and Sundays.

The guided tours, led by resident volunteers, will personally guide walkers and give an insight into Eriskay’s history, heritage, and traditions.

The walks are offered at 2 pm and 7 pm on Thursdays and at 2 pm on Sundays. The cost for Comann Eachdraidh members is 12. Non-members will have to pay an additional 3 for insurance.

Booking is essential and should be made at least 24 hours in advance by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The trail consists of 11 cairns, which portray his life through poetry, diary excerpts, photographs and background information. 

Fr. Allan arrived in Eriskay as a Parish Priest in 1893. He was instrumental in building St. Michael’s Church, which celebrated its 120th anniversary last year.

As well as the church on Cnoc na Sgrath, Fr. Allan was also behind the annual Fisherman’s Mass. He wrote to Pope Leo XIII and gained a Special Dispensation for the onboard blessing at Acarsaid Pier to include a Mass. 

He died of influenza on October 8, 1905, three weeks short of his 46th birthday.