Contact us on 01851 705743 or

Ferry services are set to resume today (Tuesday March 28) between the problematic construction site that is Uig ferry terminal on the Isle of Skye and the beleaguered ports of Lochmaddy and Tarbert.

CalMac Ferries said last night (Monday March 27): "We are pleased to share that Highland Council has confirmed that our Uig-Tarbert/Uig-Lochmaddy services can return to normal service from tomorrow (Tuesday 28 March 2023).

"Remedial works were undertaken over the weekend to resolve the issue of vehicles over 10m being able to travel out via Uig.

"For more information on sailings, please visit our timetable pages and our service status pages carry up-to-the-minute information on the journey status of each route.  

"For the period of 23-27 March, non-commercial customers with larger vehicles who are affected by the 10m restrictions on travelling out of Uig may be entitled to claim for compensation in line with the Passenger Rights process.

"You can find details on this process on our passenger rights pages.

"Our fares and retrospective refunds page will also provide you with support on eligibility for refunds for those who may have been affected previously by the closure. The retrospective refund process will remain in place until 23 May 2023." 

The Calmac statement adds: "We are disappointed about the additional inconvenience our customers have experienced during this period, as a result of the delay and subsequent restrictions on some vehicles.

"The Caledonian MacBrayne team look forward to welcoming all our customers back on board.

"We appreciate the closure period has been a testing time for our communities, businesses and customers and thank you for your continued patience and support."

Last week CalMac staff faced a tidal wave of anger from customers after the company first relaunched the service and then cancelled it when port owner Highand Council imposed draconian restrictions on which vehicles were able to board the ferry. 

Over the weekend, the entire service was suspended after the ferry MV Hebrides developed engine problems, later resolved by repair work in port at Lochmaddy.