Extremely high demand is expected from local people when some recycling centres reopen in the Western Isles next week, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar said this morning (Friday May 29).
So traffic control and booing systems are being put in place as well as other limitations.
This came after the Scottish Government confirmed that there has been a revision to guidance on travel.
So Comhairle nan Eilean Siar will reopen the Creed Park Household Waste Recycling Centre for essential use only from Monday 1 June and the Rueval Household Waste Recycling Centre from Tuesday 2 June.
They say: "Please remember that that Government travel restrictions still apply. You should only visit a Household Waste Recycling Centre when it is absolutely essential for you to dispose of items that cannot safely be stored at home, and you should not visit more than once per week.
"There will be significant changes to the way that our Household Waste Recycling Centres operate. This is primarily for the safety of the public and our staff. We would ask all users to be patient and to show consideration to others when using our sites.
"As the sites have been closed for a significant period, demand is likely to be very high initially and traffic management measures will be in place. We would ask all householders to be patient as there are likely to be significant queues and backlogs during the first few days of opening. If you can wait until later in the week it is likely that you will be able to access the recycling centre with less delay.
"Please remember that for the first two week of operating, only private cars will be allowed access to HWRC sites. Vans, pick-ups and trailers will not be permitted to access the site until Tuesday 16th June, and we will be introducing an on-line pre booking system for such vehicles – more details on the booking system will be circulated in the coming days."
The following rules will be in place:
- Cars-only are permitted to use the above sites for the first two weeks – no vans, pick-ups or trailers will be permitted entry
- Only one vehicle allowed entry to site at any one time
- To avoid overcrowding we will be operating a queuing system for vehicles
- To avoid traffic management issues, there will be a cut-off point for vehicles to queue to enter our sites, you may be asked to come back at a different time if the queue becomes too long
- While queuing, please remain in your vehicle, with your engine switched off while stationary
- Please follow all signage and verbal instructions from our staff at all times
- Please have your waste sorted before arriving, to help our recycling centres operate as efficiently as possible
- To maintain social distancing, staff will not be able to help you deposit your waste items, so ensure you only bring what you can manage yourself
- Please wash your hands before and after attending.
- You must follow the Government guidance on social distancing and stay at least 2 metres apart at all times
- If you or anyone else in your household has Coronavirus symptoms, or has been asked to self-isolate, DO NOT attend any of our recycling centres
Opening Hours for Comhairle Household Waste Recycling Centres
Creed Park HWRC, Creed Enterprise Park, Lochs Rd, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9JB
01/06/20 – 07/06/20 Mon – Sat 9am – 5pm
08/06/20 onwards Tue – Fri 9am – 5pm
Saturdays 9am – 4pm
Rueval HWRC, Market Stance, Benbecula, HS7 5LA
02/06/20 onwards Tue – Thu 8.30am – 4.30pm Fri – Sat 8.30am – 4pm
Habost HWRC / Urgha HWRC / Garrygall HWRC
Opening Hours to be confirmed – please regularly check the Comhairle’s webpages for updates
Cars with Trailers / Pickups / Vans
From week commencing 15th June, Cars with Trailers, Pickups and Vans will be permitted to use the above sites for the disposal of Household Waste provided they have a valid booking in place.
Full details of the new booking system will be provided in the coming days – please regularly check the Comhairle’s web pages for updates.