Goathill Road, Stornoway, was closed for more than hour this morning (Thursday April 23) after a fire in a home on the road between the junctions with Jamieson Drive and Smith Avenue.
The closure began following a call-out about 7.30am
Three fire engines and crews were called out with two appliances from Stornoway and one from Shawbost.
An ambulance was also called to the scene.
A total of 15-20 fire service personnel were involved in dealing with the incident.
Appliances and crew in action at the scene this morning
The incident involved a blaze in a bedroom. Two occupants of the house were able to leave but were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation first by the fire service personnel and then in the ambulance, before being taken to hospital as a precaution.
Witnesses described smoke coming for a house before the fire brigade arrived.
A fire appliance approaching the scene this morning
Gavin Hammond, the group commander for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in Stornoway, said the occupants of the house had called the fire service. On arrival, the fire service found that both the occupants had managed to find their way safely out of the premises. There was a "rapidly developing fire situation" in one of the bedrooms. Swift action by the crews using thermal imaging cameras, breathing apparatus, covering jets and other equipment brought the fire under control after 40 minutes.
"There was really good intense hard work by the crews in attendance," he said.
He emphasised how the crews had taken care in relation to Covid-19 and social isolation for the people involved.
The cause of the fire is believed to be possibly an electric blanket. Gavin Hammond emphasised the need for such equipment to be regularly checked. He also pointed to the spread of smoke damage throughout the property and reminded people of the benefits of closing all the doors in a house during the night to prevent the spread of fire and smoke.
The road was partially reopened by around 9am although one appliance remained at the scene.