6 things to do in Stornoway this autumn!
Often, you don’t realise what’s right on your doorstep... Long gone are the endless days, but, even as the days get shorter, there’s still lots to do!
1. Explore the castle grounds! This is one of the most beautiful times of year when it comes to trees, as the leaves are turning brown, and the sun is low – and that beautiful, deep golden colour – so the shadows are amazing. Pop your headphones in, or enjoy the gentle noises of this wonderful, peaceful place. If you’ve got a mountain bike, take that out and enjoy the numerous new cycle paths that the grounds have to offer!
2. Paint a pot! Whether you’re 9 or 90, grab a pal or two, and go paint something! Enjoy some tea or coffee, and do something a little different on those days when the weather is just pushing you indoors!
3. Go to Lewis Sports Centre. Whether you want to swim, gym, use their high-tech Wattbikes, go wall climbing, or play squash, Lewis Sports Centre is a fantastic resource that is just waiting for you to use it! If you don’t fancy anything too strenuous, go warm up, and sweat out all your toxins, in their spa, which has a Jacuzzi, a steam room and a sauna. Click here for a full list of the classes and activities available!
4. Watch the Aurora Borealis (AKA the Northern Lights)! We’re lucky to live in one of the few places where you can experience this beautiful spectacle, so get out there! It might keep you up a little late, but keep an eye on Aurora Watch Western Isles so you know when to venture out. Make sure you wrap up warm!
5. Watch the sun rise/set. We might be missing those endless, bright summer’s days, but at least it means that sunset and sunrise are easier to see! Get up a little earlier than usual, and go for a jog, face East, and enjoy! Or sit in your garden/climb a hill, and watch the sun go down. Just take a moment, whenever you can, to notice how beautiful this place is!
6. Visit an Lanntair! Take a detour during your usual errand-running on Francis street, and see what they have to offer you. an Lanntair is for everyone, not just for artists. Wander their latest exhibition, go to the cinema, enjoy a cocktail or a latte in their elegant bar, or have dinner overlooking the harbour. Whatever you fancy, our local arts centre is here to keep you entertained, not to mention cultured!
Written by Melissa Silver for welovestornoway.com