The ideal opportunity has arisen for a Chef to work variable hours all year round and be part of a close team here at An Lanntair. This is the perfect opportunity to work in a lively but relaxed atmosphere. We offer a friendly and creative work environment, a good work life balance.
An Lanntair’s café bar is closely aligned to its artistic programming and going into 2020 our objective is for a very distinctive offer, one which is contemporary and reflects current thinking – both artistically and, in this case, culinary. Where possible local produce should be showcased, and the seasonal and dietary needs of diners catered to.
An Lanntair Arts Centre is home to up to 12 local and international exhibitions in its galleries every year. The auditorium hosts fantastic events and live performances in addition to an enjoyable cinema experience.
The successful applicant must have experience as a Chef who has a desire to heighten the experience of our visitors, exceeding the expectations of all.
Objectives and purpose of role: To provide the highest standards of kitchen service and food preparation in support of An Lanntair’s food and hospitality operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To oversee the preparation, cooking and presentation of meals as directed by the Food and Beverage Manager or Kitchen Supervisor.
- To assist the Food and Beverage Manager and other colleagues to develop dishes and menus.
- To ensure you and the team have high standards of food hygiene and follow the rules of health and safety.
- To monitor portion and waste control to maintain profit margins.
- To be punctual for work.
- To be flexible in your work and assist colleagues as required.
- To ensure the workplace is maintained to a clean, hygienic and tidy state at all times.
- To wear full and correct uniform at all times.
- To remove any hazards and report any defects to the Food and Beverage Manager.
- To understand and adhere to Health and Safety Policy.
What's in it for you?
- A chance to help develop and grow An Lanntair’s Café Bar as a business all year round.
- A chance to develop your skills working with fresh local produce.
- Working with a close knit team in a relaxed atmosphere.
- The opportunity to express your creative side .
- Working on an Island renowned for its beaches and rugged landscape away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
If this describes you and your aspirations, we want to hear from you as soon as possible.
How to apply
The job description for this role is attached. Applicants are invited to review these carefully and submit a detailed letter of application, setting out the ways in which they would meet the requirements of this post, and their Curriculum Vitae, by post or email to:
Tina Macphail – Head of Operations
An Lanntair, Kenneth Street, Stornoway, HS1 2DS
The Closing date is Friday 24th January.
Objective and purpose of role: To provide the highest standards of kitchen service and food preparation in support of An Lanntair’s food and hospitality operations.
Line Manager: Food and Beverage Manager
Direct Reports: None
DELIVERY OF FOOD SERVICE
- Ensure readiness for service and that the pace is set for peak times.
- Ensure that all food is presented for service in a timely manner and in correct sequence.
- Ensure that the storage of food meets statutory health and safety requirements.
- Deal with any customer returns of food in a timely manner.
- Lead by example, setting the pace and standards.
- Support the Food and Beverage Manager and Kitchen Supervisor in training and developing the team to deliver the food to specification.
- Pro-active in problem solving.
- Able to self-motivate and work on own initiative.
- Orders of food stocks appropriate to sales level and not over ordered.
- All deliveries to be checked and signed for
- All substandard food to be returned and the supplier contacted.
- Keeps to budgets set for ordering
- All stock to be kept secure with no loss of stock.
- Stock rotation is followed and all storerooms, fridges and freezers in order.
- Monitors and controls stock levels – daily weekly or monthly as required.
- Prepares food appropriate to sales levels.
- Controls wastage and records wastages/breakages.
- All invoices to be processed according to company procedures.
- Implement and ensure that Health and Safety standards are always met.
- Implement and ensure all Food Safety and Hygiene regulations
- Ensure temperature records and food labelling are kept up to date.
- Ensure that the kitchen is clean and hygienic ensuring that cleaning rotas are adhered to and rotas kept.
- Ensure that all food is served to specification.
- Ensure that the kitchen runs smoothly daily and that it is adequately stocked with all necessary goods.
- Maintain good communication with the kitchen and Café Bar team.