Islanders are advised to avoid eating shellfish from the Loch Leurbost area in Lewis as raised levels of shellfish toxins have been identified.

Monitoring work undertaken on behalf of Food Standards Scotland has identified raised levels in Loch Leurbost – and as a sensible precaution, advise people avoid eating shellfish from the area until further notice.

Eating shellfish such as mussels, cockles, or razor fish from the area may pose a risk to human health and notices to warn the public and casual gatherers have been posted at various locations on the shore.

Commercial shellfish harvesters in the area have been contacted by the Comhairle and steps taken to postpone harvesting until algae levels subside.

The Comhairle is also monitoring the situation and will remove the warning notices when it improves.