Two crews of retained firefighters from Stornoway were called to the Halfway Garage north of Cameron Terrace in Leurbost on Monday evening (November 12th) after passers-by spotted sparks and flashes coming from a pole-mounted power supply.

A report came in at 8.30pm on Monday, during a challenging day for power-workers, that the equipment connected to the power pole nearest to the garage seemed to be sparking dangerously.

Engineers from Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks were quickly on-scene, and the fire crews supported them as they worked with lighting of the scene and safety maintenance.

A spokesperson for SSEN said that a fuse had come out and was sparking, but was quickly replaced and made safe.