There will be no Loganair flights from Stornoway or Benbecula airports today (Wednesday), despite the fact that strike action by members of the public service union Prospect has been suspended.
Inglis Lyon, Managing Director of HIAL said on the suspension of the strike action: "Following a productive meeting with Prospect, we have received confirmation that all industrial action, including the work to rule, will be suspended from today, Wednesday 12 June, pending the outcome of the ballot on our revised offer."
Air Traffic Controllers (ATCs) were expected to strike on Wednesday, continuing the long-running dispute with employers Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd (HIAL). The strike was called off following a new offer from HIAL, in which Inglis Lyon, MD of Loganair, said the skills of ATCs and the importance of air traffic management services had been recognised.
Now Loganair has confirmed that the emergency timetables and flight changes put in place to allow for the strike are to remain, with no planes operating from Stornoway or Benbecula.
In a statement yesterday (Thursday June 6th) HIAL said that they were “pleased to confirm that all of our airports will remain open on that date.” Flights operated by airlines including Flybe and Eastern Airways are to operate as usual, but Loganair has chosen not to operate normal flights anywhere except Wick John O’Groats.
A press spokesman for Loganair told welovestornoway.com today (Friday June 7th): “It’s not possible, for a number of reasons, for Loganair to just put the service back in place at all their airports. You can’t just flick a switch and return to the normal timetable.
“All those passengers who had intended to travel on June 12th had made other arrangements.”
Asked what would happen to passengers who find they need to travel on Wednesday between now and that date, the spokesman said: “It is unfortunate, but it’s another direct, negative consequence of the industrial action.”
Prospect announced that their strike action would be suspended on Wednesday (June 5th). At that time Richard Hardy, Prospect national secretary, said: “Prospect has received a revised pay offer from HIAL which we will be putting to our members for consideration. In light of this we are suspending the strike action scheduled for 12th June. Action short of a strike will continue."